How Can We Help?
Install Office 365 or Office 2016 on your PC
Step 1 – Sign in to download Office
- Go to www.office.com and if you’re not already signed in, select Sign in.
Note: If you bought Office for personal use through your company’s Microsoft HUP benefit, you may not be able to sign in here. Find installation help at Install Office through HUP.
- Sign in with the account you associated with this version of Office. This account can be a Microsoft account, or work or school account.
Forgot your account details? See I forgot the account I use with Office.
- On the Office home page, do the following depending on your version of Office.
If you signed in with a Microsoft account, from the Office home page select Install Office > Install. (Office 365 subscribers should select Install again).
Tip: To install Office in a different language, or install the 64-bit version (if you’re on a PC), select the link Language, 32/64-bit, and other install options. Choose the language and bit version you want and then select Install.
If you signed in with a work or school account, from the Office 365 home page select Install Office apps > Office 2016. (If you set a different start page, go to aka.ms/office-install.)
Tip: To install Office in a different language, or install the 64-bit version (if you’re on a PC), from the Office 365 home page, select Install Office apps>Other install options > Advanced. Choose the language and bit version you want and then select Install.
This begins the download of Office. Follow the prompts on your screen to complete the install.
Don’t see an install option after signing in? There could be an issue with your account. Select Need help? from above and review the section Account questions.
Step 2 – Install Office
- Depending on your browser, click Run (in Edge or Internet Explorer), Setup (in Chrome), or Save File (in Firefox).
If you see the User Account Control prompt that says, Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? Click Yes.
The install begins.
- Your install is finished when you see the phrase, “You’re all set! Office is installed now” and an animation plays to show you where to find Office applications on your computer.
Follow the instructions in the window, for example Click Start > All Apps to see where your apps are, and select Close.
Installation or sign in issues?
If you’re having installation issue such as Office taking long to install, try Need help? for a list of common issues.
Step 3: Activate Office
- Start using an Office application right away by opening any app such as Word or Excel. Can’t find Office after installing?
In most cases, Office is activated once you start an application and after you click Accept to agree to the License terms.
- Office might activate automatically. However, depending on your product you might see the Microsoft Office Activation Wizard. If so, follow the prompts to activate Office.